Thursday, July 2, 2009

Bollywood: way, WAY too much

So I attended a press conference for the launch of a new Bollywood film called 'Luck' last night. It was held at the 5-star Intercontinental Hotel... by far the ritziest hotel that I have ever seen.

When I arrived with one of my colleagues Natasha, we were ushered into a make-shift theatre with a stage, two-video projectors on each side, and the word LUCK arching over the top. It was more like a mini-awards show than a press conference -- with a song, short monologues, and then a question and answer period.

To their credit, the stars of the film had fairly witty answers and seemed like pretty nice approachable people (except for the lead female, who all of the film journalists decided was a pretty big snob at our informal press conference afterward).

When it was done there was a full buffet, bar and nearly as many servers as guests (but that is how India is in general because labour is so cheap). If my tummy wasn't hurting, I'd have made out like a bandit!!!!

Here is a link to a video I found on YouTube. I don't know what language it is in because I can't play it at the cyber café I'm currently in. The tall, young actor Imran Khan is a bit of a heart throb over here. For once, I can see what all of the fuss is about. Not sure if I'll see the movie though. It's all in Hindi.

No comments:

Post a Comment